The fences have been removed, the splash pad has been tested, and there have even been a couple of gatherings at Las Cruces’ brand new civic plaza to break it in a bit before Saturday’s official opening.
A noon parade down Main Street will kick off the celebrations for the Plaza de Las Cruces, which is at the northeast corner of Main Street and Griggs Avenue. At the head will be visiting actress Loretta Swit, along with many Las Cruces dignitaries who helped make the plaza happen after decades of work.
Dirt was turned on the plaza in August 2015 under the direction of Las Cruces Community Partners and the total cost of the plaza project was $5.6 million.
The following is a schedule of events for the plaza dedication Downtown:
- Noon: Parade down Main Street. The parade will start at Hadley, adjacent to the Black Box Theatre, then proceed south on Main Street to the stage of Plaza de Las Cruces.
- 1 p.m.: The Borderland Ballet Company will perform
- 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.: Downtown Las Cruces Merchants Association Scavenger Hunt.
- 2 p.m.: Plaza dedication
- 2:35 p.m.: NMSU Jazz Quintet
- 3:40 p.m.: Remember Then
- 4:50 p.m.: Ballet Folklorico de la Tierra del Encanto and Mariachi Azteca & Ballet Folklorico Quetzalcoatl of La Academia Dolores Huerta
- 6 p.m.: Community Band
- 7:15 p.m.: Outdoor movie, “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation”
In conjunction with the plaza opening, the Rio Grande Theatre is featuring a Selena tribute concert starring Karla Perez and her six-piece band, who will perform 23 of Selena‚Äôs most popular songs in honor of the Queen of Tejano Music. The concert is at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the theater, and tickets are $27-$37 in advance and $32-$42 at door. Info: www.riograndetheatre.com